Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Unit 1 - Managers
In class, we talked about how UPS would send their managers to a camp to teach them how to be more empathetic and personable. I felt that UPS didn't just want to have their managers come off as robots and only go by the book. When I was 17, I worked at McDonalds' and I remember one of my co-workers had just become the father. Before the baby was a week old, he/she had already started to experience health problems, so severe that the child needed to be taken to the docotr. When my co-worker, asked off work to take his newborn child to the doctor, he was denied. I didn't understand how I could get off of work for a track meet with any questions asked, but a new father couldn't get off of work to take care of his newborn child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is so true! Many organizations I do not feel give their employees a time to leave when sometimes really necessary. When my brother had knee surgery last winter his job was ok with him taking the time off because he had built up his sick days. However, when he had complications with his knee and was not able to get back to work as quickly as possible his work suddenly became unforgiving and even getting his disabilities money for the first little bit was difficult for him because his work was not being as understanding as I thought they should have been.
ReplyDeleteI think that every organization could largely benefit from some sort of workshop as UPS conducted. Putting yourself in another person's shoes is an invaluable experience that you can never get enough of.