Monday, December 6, 2010

Unit 5 - Resumes

One class period we had a case study about resumes and when has the applicant gone too far in terms of lying. This got me thinking since I am graduating in 2 weeks. I just applied for a job at Guitar Center in Louisville for a post graduation job until I can find something more permanent (and honestly because my current job at home sucks). I was wondering if I should change my resume to put Hollywood Video on it. That job shows that I have experience with sales and customer service, but I don't to just be a salesman as odd as that sounds. I don't want to be one of the people on the floor trying to convince some kid's mom to buy the $1000 guitar for him if he has only been playing for a month. I want a more behind the scenes role if possible. So I don't know if I should put the Hollywood Video experience on my resume because I think they would automatically make me a guitar salesman. The job that i left on the resume was my job as concert director and marketing coordinator. I'm not sure that would make me a shoe in for an interview though.

A really good song

1 comment:

  1. I think that your reasoning for wanting to leave off your Hollywood Video job is fair. You could even say that while it both deals with customers and sales that videos and guitars have very little to do with one another in the sales/customer service approach. On the other hand, you could say that telling a customer where the comedy section is is just like telling them where the Les Pauls are. I think that you cannot go wrong with that, and in the future you probably put either job on a resume!

    ReplyDelete